Woodland Normanstone home on the market for $10.9 million

0

This Georgian home in Northwest Washington’s Woodland Normanstone neighborhood has had a long line of notable owners.

The 1929 home was designed by architect TJD Fuller and built by Davis, Wick & Rosengarten. Fuller was known for designing an extension to the Cosmos Club in 1909 when he expanded its location to the former Dolley Madison House on Lafayette Square. (The Cosmos Club now resides in the Townsend Mansion on Massachusetts Avenue NW.)

The home’s first owner was Walter F. Chappell, who served in the Navy in World War I and World War II. During the second war, he was assigned to the office of naval intelligence. For four years he liaised with British Naval Intelligence. For his services he was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. Upon his return to civilian life, he joined the State Department, where he became acting director of the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Distinguished Homes for Sale in the DC Area

Norman stone house in the woods | The 1929 Georgian house was designed by architect TJD Fuller and built by Davis, Wick & Rosengarten. It is listed at just under $10.9 million. (HomeVisit)

Frederick S. Wynn bought the house in 1935. He was vice-president of the Southern Railway company. In 1941, Wynn sold the house to Charles D. Drayton, an attorney and descendant of William Henry Drayton, South Carolina’s first Chief Justice. Charles Drayton was a special counsel to the Association of American Railroads and specialized in interstate commerce law. He was also president of Children’s Hospital for 10 years.

Henry S. Morgan and Catherine Adams Morgan owned the house from 1941 to 1946. He was co-founder of Morgan Stanley. She was a descendant of Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams. His father, Charles Frances Adams III, was Secretary of the Navy during the Hoover administration.

Alfred and Winifred McCormack bought the house from the Morgans. Alfred, a lawyer, served as a senior military intelligence official during World War II. Shortly after Pearl Harbor, he joined the War Department at the request of Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson. According to his 1956 Washington Post obituary, he played a central role in the reorganization of Army intelligence.

Alfred also organized the exchange of information with British intelligence agencies during the war. In 1944, he was appointed director of intelligence of the military intelligence service. For his service, he received the Distinguished Service Medal and was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. After the war, he returned to private practice, specializing in corporate law and representing clients such as Bethlehem Steel and Ford Motor Co.

William McChesney Martin Jr. and his wife, Cynthia, lived in the house the longest. The Martins took possession of the house in 1947 after he became president of the Federal Export-Import Bank. Martin, who became the first paid president of the New York Stock Exchange at age 31, spent three years at the Export-Import Bank before becoming assistant secretary of the Treasury in the Truman administration.

In 1951 Truman appointed Martin Chairman of the Federal Reserve. His 19-year tenure in that position spanned five administrations. Martin is best known for saying that the Federal Reserve’s role is to “take the punch bowl away just as the party begins.” An avid tennis player, he was president of the National Tennis Hall of Fame and chaired the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Prentis B. Tomlinson Jr., chief executive of Caliber Energy, purchased the home in 2005. He sold it to the current owners in 2013.

A gated entrance and a steep staircase lead to the front of the house. The front door opens into a stately hall with a formal living and dining room on either side, each with a wood-burning fireplace and 10½ foot ceilings.

On the left side of the house, the kitchen is connected to the dining room by a butler’s pantry. The kitchen has marble countertops, a marble backsplash, a walk-in pantry, two dishwashers, a double wall oven and a six-burner gas range. A breakfast room is adjacent to the kitchen and overlooks the backyard. The paneled library has a wood-burning fireplace and built-in shelving and cabinetry.

The owner’s suite takes up most of the left side of the house on the second floor. The room has a sitting area and a wood-burning fireplace. There are two dressing rooms and a bathroom with two sinks, a marble bathtub and a separate marble shower with steam function. Two additional bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms are on this level.

The upper level includes four bedrooms, two bathrooms and a family room.

The lower level features one bedroom with ensuite bathroom, a temperature-controlled wine cellar with two wine refrigerators, and an exercise room. The garage, which can put two cars end to end, is also on this level.

An elevator serves the four levels.

The back yard has a large flagstone patio for entertaining, covered porch, grilling area, fountain and terraced landscaping. Plantings include hollies, magnolias, crape myrtles, boxwood, azaleas, camellias, roses and hydrangeas.

The eight-bedroom, seven-bathroom, 10,100-square-foot home is listed at just under $10.9 million.

2861 Woodland Dr. NW, Washington, DC

  • Bedrooms/bathrooms: 8/7
  • Approximate area: 10 100
  • Lot size: 0.3 acres
  • Features: The 1929 Georgian house was designed by architect TJD Fuller and built by Davis, Wick & Rosengarten. The house has detailed trim, woodwork and moldings. An elevator serves the four levels. The lower level features a temperature-controlled wine cellar with two wine refrigerators, an exercise room, and an attached two-car garage. The back yard has a large flagstone patio for entertaining, covered porch, grilling area, fountain and terraced landscaping.
  • Listing Agents: Chuck Holzwarth and Nick Hazelton, Washington Fine Properties
Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.