Shreveport Man Badly Burned While Attempting TikTok Challenge Involving Fire | KTVE

0


SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL / KMSS) – A man from Shreveport is in hospital with serious injuries after apparently attempting a TikTok challenge that left him with third degree burns.

According to Shreveport Police and Fire Department, this happened Sunday afternoon at a house on Malcolm Street in the Werner Park neighborhood of Shreveport. Firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting someone on fire and arrived minutes later to find a man with third degree burns over most of his body.

According to PIO Clarence Reese of the Shreveport Fire Department, the bathroom in the house where this happened was also damaged by smoke and fire.

Police said there was a child and another adult at the house. The other adult told police the man was trying to complete a TikTok challenge with flammable liquid. No other injuries were reported.

The man was taken to the Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport severe burn unit in serious condition.

Similar TikTok challenges have left others seriously injured. In May, a 13-year-old Portland girl was left in the intensive care unit fighting for her life following severe burns after lighting a candle in her bathroom, causing the explosion of a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Her family thinks she may have tried following a popular TikTok ‘challenge’, where you draw a picture on a mirror with flammable liquid and then set it on fire.

This isn’t the first TikTok challenge to display a threat to security and property.

In December, a 12-year-old Connecticut child was burnt while trying to complete another TikTok challenge known as the “Whoosh Bottle Experiment.” This challenge involved lighting alcohol in a bottle, which creates a small explosion that makes the “whoosh” sound.

While the challenge is based on a science experiment that can be performed safely with the proper precautions, fire safety officials are trying to warn the public – and parents – that this and challenges like these can entail. serious injuries and even death.

In January 2020, firefighters issued a warning after a viral challenge on the popular social media app nearly sparked a high school fire in Massachusetts. This challenge involved partially inserting a phone charger into a wall outlet, then sliding a dime along the wall over the exposed pins.

A student at another high school in Massachusetts has been charged with arson for starting a fire in a similar incident.


Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.