Mardi Gras is a celebration with many culinary traditions, and the king cake is probably the most famous.
In Kylee’s Kitchen, Kylee Scales returns to a sweet Mardi Gras treat that precedes the multicolored royal cake.
This is called the galette des rois, and inside is an almond or a bean. Whoever gets the piece with the hidden ingredient is crowned king of the day!
Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients for the frangipane:
- 200 grams (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) Challenge European-style unsalted butter, softened
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 200 grams (2 1/3 cups) almond flour (or almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 teaspoons of Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients for the pancake
- 2 circles of puff pastry about 9 inches in diameter
- 1 almond or whole bean
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water)
Ingredients for the simple syrup
- 50 grams (3 tablespoons) water
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
directions for the frangipani
- Beat butter and sugar with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the almond flour and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, Grand Marnier, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt. Blend until smooth.
directions for the wafer
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a circle of puff pastry on it.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, evenly distribute the frangipane in the center of the circle.
- Hide the whole almond or bean in the frangipane.
- Brush diameter with egg wash
- Place the second circle of puff pastry on top so the edges line up with the first circle. Press around border with fingertips to seal.
- Use the back of the table knife to create a border of scallops, pressing the dough down every 1/2 inch.
- Place the king cake in the refrigerator to firm it up for at least half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Engrave the pattern on the top of the cake, taking care not to pierce the dough.
- Brush the egg wash pattern.
- Use a sharp knife to make several small incisions in the top piece of puff pastry for the steam vents.
- Bake the cake for about 15 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
directions for simple syrup
- While the galette is cooking, prepare a simple syrup. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let cool.
- After removing the king cake from the oven, brush the surface with simple syrup and serve.
Suggest a fix